There's No Better Time to Get Your Design Systems in Place
I've talked to so many designers lately who are finding this sudden stop in all their activity hard to take. After all, our business is usually go-go-go, right?! Some people want to fill that time with lots of to-do lists and others are feeling like they can't get off the sofa. Neither one of those is wrong! We have to do whatever will help us make it through this anxious time. I'll talk about self care and how important it is in next week's blog, but this week I want you to think about your business.
There were so many things that we put off, or were too busy to get to, just a few weeks ago. So what were those things in YOUR business? I'll bet they had a lot to do with organization, systems, processes, timelines, and cleaning out old files and papers. Am I right?! HA! No need to answer - ALL of us want to get those things done and we never seemed to have enough time in the day.
So if you're feeling motivated, start making lists of things you always meant to do, but never got around to. Every single system and process, every single checklist and schedule, every single way that you wanted to make your business run more smoothly and efficiently.
We may never - hopefully - have a time like this again. It's unprecedented in history. So if anything good can come out of it - it should! Just choose one thing to accomplish each day, or maybe 2 big things in a week. Whatever you think you can handle right now!
What to implement...
Some things that you should definitely consider implementing:
- A repeatable system for your design projects, so they can be completed according to plan.
- Contractor & designer expectations by project phase
- The right financial information to help you make smart strategic plans, including your P&L, cash flow, income statements, and more.
- An way of organizing all of the forms, templates, and information for each project.
- A client pipeline, so you know exactly what projects are coming up, their size and scope, and whether you have enough cash flow to realize them.
- Specification and maintenance templates.
- Client care and communication systems.
To get you started, download my FREE Design and Contractor Project Phases & Expectations worksheet. It will help you start to get communication and expectations organized, so you know exactly what you and your contractors need at every phase of the project!
No matter what you decide to do, remember that right now is the perfect time to set your business up for long-term success. Good luck!
PS - If you want an even quicker shortcut to getting your business in great shape for when things are back to "normal," just click here to learn more about Return on Interiors or download the Return on Interiors Sample Pack below!